Do you like reversible rugs? They will cost more to clean but you will get twice the wear before they need cleaning.
WOVEN RUGS: Nice and country looking but we don't like cotton unless they can be machine washed. Think about walking on your cotton dish towels till they're dirty and then trying to clean them without throwing them in your washer. Buy wool.
Many reversible rugs are multicolored. We have found that 90% of the colors do not run but a rug will be ruined when the other 10% do. We have found these colors to be black, deep teel/blue/greens and red and purple. The deeper the color the more the chance of overdye running the first cleaning, like blue jeans.
Also some woven rugs end their weft fibers anywhere they please and leave them sticking up out of the rug where one ends and another begins. These do not do well with cleaning and tend to come apart with wear.
BRAIDED RUGS: Usually oval and multicolored. Stay away from cotton. Wool is wonderful. Some will say, "misc. fiber content". I have loved cleaning braided rugs since I came here in 1966.
FRINGED RUGS: Only you know how white fringe would fare in your home. Think of your kitchen traffic and how often you clean your kitchen floor and I think you will not add fringe to the mix. Fringe on accent area rugs is beautiful. Fringed rugs are always more costly to clean as the fringe is cleaned and finished by hand.
BERBERS: Berbers are looped fibers. In high traffic areas these little loops lay down and do not come back after a lot of wear. Light reflects differently from a flat loop than a new one and this shows as a traffic pattern even if it is a clean one, it will appear dull compared to carpeting with little traffic. The best type of berber to buy is a very tightly woven piece where the loops are so close to each other that they cannot lay down to allow for room to flatten. Commercial grade carpet is made like this.
No matter what kind of rug you buy, remember to turn it once a year in order to wear the traffic pattern more evenly. This is a MUST for fringed rugs!
AND REMEMBER: You can always call me even though I am semi-retired. I'll be happy to talk to you about any purchase before you make it so that we won't have to talk to you when it's too late and we may not be able to clean it.
CLICK IN THE BAR AND START TYPING TO SEARCH OUR SITE!